Let me first say that I am addicted to social media like many people. I have accounts on more obscure social sites than I can remember. I enjoy keeping up with friends and meeting people I may not have if not for the internet.
With that being said, there are a few things that really bug me about social media content, here is a short list of my top pet peeves:
1) “Smart” Phones have made us all idiots
- Spelling errors - I understand many people, primarily the younger people, only access social media through their phones. These phones don’t have the best “keyboards” and it’s hard to input text on them. But, would it kill people to review the text before they hit send?
2) Food Photos
- People are obsessed with food. I’ve watched my share of Food Network broadcasts and have even attended Emril Lagasse tapings in the past. Food photos just don’t look good for the most part. Especially if you’ve already eaten most of it and then decide to take a photo.
3) Slobber on cigar photos
- Really? Learn to crop your photos. I take a lot of cigar photos and cross post to my social media networks. No one really needs to see the cap of a cigar, especially afer you’ve been smoking it and the cap is soaking wet and chewed on.
4) Mass invites on Facebook
- Why invite people that live across the country to an event that they will never attend? I know it’s easy to just select all of your friends and press “send” but, I think it would be more meaningful if you selected your followers that are nearby and would actually have the opportunity to attend.
5) Putting links on Instagram posts
- Links on Instagram are not active and you can’t click on them. I for one, would not try and retype some of these URL’s to see the actual content.
6) A picture is worth a thousand words?
- Sometimes, not so much. I enjoy looking at cool and unusual photographs on Instagram but, sometimes I have no idea what I am looking at. It would be nice to have a little idea of what the photo is about.
OK, my little rant is over. You may agree with these items or may not. I would love to hear your opinion as well.
Have a great weekend everyone!